- Collection of Information: We collect personal data necessary for the functioning of the school, such as student names, addresses, and academic records. This information is gathered through forms, official correspondence, and digital platforms.
- Use of Information: We utilize this information for communication, academic planning, ensuring student safety, and meeting any legal obligations. We do not share personal data with third parties except as required by law or with the explicit consent of the individual or their guardian.
- Data Protection: CGCS employs state-of-the-art security measures to protect personal data from unauthorized access, alteration, or disclosure. We regularly update our systems and protocols to enhance data protection.
- Access and Correction: Individuals have the right to access their personal information held by us and to request corrections if necessary.
Scope and Consent
- User Agreement: By accessing and using our website and services, you, as the User, acknowledge that you have read and understood this Policy. Your use of our website and services indicates your agreement to abide by its terms.
- Binding Agreement: This Policy serves as a legally binding agreement between you (the User) and CGCS. If you represent a business or other legal entity using our website and services, you confirm that you have the authority to bind the entity to this Policy. If you do not have such authority or do not agree with this Policy, you are not permitted to use our website and services.
- Limitation of Scope: Please be aware that this Policy does not apply to the practices of third-party companies that CGCS does not own or control, nor to individuals not employed or managed by CGCS.
Table of contents
- Automatic collection of information
- Use and processing of collected information
- Disclosure of information
- Retention of information
- Data analytics
- Email & SMS Communications
- Links to other resources
- Information security
- Data breach
- Changes and amendments
- Acceptance of this policy
- Contacting us
Automatic collection of information
At CGCS, our servers automatically collect certain information when you access our website, including any of its subdomains. This data collection process is an integral part of how the internet functions and helps us understand how our website is being used.
What We Collect Automatically
- Types of Data: The automatically collected data may include your device's IP address, the type and version of your browser, your operating system type and version, and language preferences. We also record the webpage you visited before arriving at our site, along with the pages you visit on our website, and the dates and times of your access.
- Purpose of Collection: This information is primarily used to monitor for potential abuse and to gather statistical data about website traffic and user engagement. It helps us improve the functionality and user experience of our website and services.
- Use of Information: The information we collect automatically is used in aggregate form only. We ensure that this data cannot be used to personally identify any individual user of our website.
Use and Processing of Collected Information at Calgary Girls Charter School
At CGCS, we are committed to safeguarding the privacy of our students and their families. The Personal Information we collect is primarily for processing student applications, facilitating student registration, and delivering our educational services.
Use of Personal Information
The information we collect from our students and their families may be used to:
- Create and manage student and parent accounts.
- Process enrollment applications and manage academic records.
- Communicate important administrative and educational information.
- Update you on school programs, services, and events.
- Respond to inquiries, provide support, and facilitate parent-teacher communications.
- Operate and enhance the functionality of our website and educational services.
Disclosure of information
Information Sharing and Service Providers at Calgary Girls Charter School
At CGCS, we utilize various essential services to support our educational mission and streamline our operations. These include Cloud computing, Communication and collaboration services, and Data analytics services. Our handling of Personal Information in relation to these services is guided by our commitment to privacy and security.
Our Approach to Information Sharing
When necessary to facilitate educational operations or to provide services you have requested, we may share your information with our trusted service providers. These providers are carefully selected for their commitment to privacy standards that align with ours or for their agreement to comply with our privacy policies when handling Personal Information.
- Limited Sharing: We strictly limit the sharing of personally identifiable information. No such information is shared with third parties unrelated to our educational services, ensuring that the privacy of our students and their families is always respected.
- Service Provider Guidelines: Our service providers are not authorized to use or disclose your information except as strictly necessary to perform services on our behalf or to fulfill legal obligations. They are provided only the information necessary for their specific functions, and we do not permit them to use or disclose any information for their own marketing or unrelated purposes.
- Categories of Service Providers:
- Cloud Computing Services: To store and manage educational data securely.
- Communication and Collaboration Services: To facilitate effective communication and collaborative learning within our school community.
- Data Analytics Services: To enhance educational outcomes through informed decision-making.
Legal Compliance and Business Transitions
- Legal Requirements: We may disclose Personal Information if required by law, such as in response to a subpoena or legal process, especially when such disclosure is necessary to protect our rights, ensure the safety of our school community, or address potential fraud.
Retention of information
Our retention practices are designed to respect privacy while fulfilling our educational and administrative needs, in line with provincial regulations.
- How Long We Retain Your Information: CGCS retains Personal Information as long as necessary to meet our educational service and administrative obligations, adhering to provincial laws. This period covers the time required for service provision, dispute resolution, and policy enforcement.
- Use of Information Post Service: After the completion of a service or order, we may continue using data derived from your Personal Information in an aggregated, non-identifiable format. This ensures no personal identity is associated with the data.
Procedure After Retention Period
- Secure Deletion: Upon the end of the retention period, Personal Information is securely and responsibly removed from our systems, aligning with educational best practices and provincial legal requirements.
- Rights After Retention: Please be aware that following the retention period's conclusion, rights related to Personal Information, such as access, erasure, rectification, or data portability, cease to apply, as the information is no longer retained by CGCS.
In our efforts to effectively communicate with our school community and reach prospective families, CGCS employs digital marketing tools like Facebook Pixel and similar tags. These tools are crucial for evaluating the performance of our marketing initiatives.
Cookies and Online Experience
- Purpose of Cookies: Our website and digital services use “cookies” to enhance your online experience. Cookies are small text files placed on your hard disk by a web server. They are designed to improve the functionality and personalization of our online services, without compromising your security.
- Safety of Cookies: Importantly, cookies cannot be used to run programs or deliver viruses to your computer. They are assigned uniquely to your device and can only be read by a web server in the domain that issued the cookie.
- Usage of Cookies: We utilize cookies to gather, store, and track information for purposes such as ensuring the security of our digital platforms, personalizing user experience, and collecting statistical data to enhance our educational and communication strategies.
- User Control Over Cookies: It's important to us that you have control over your digital experience. You can choose to accept or decline cookies. Most web browsers automatically accept cookies, but you have the option to modify your browser settings to decline cookies if that is your preference.
To continuously enhance our online services and better understand the needs of our school community, CGCS uses third-party analytics tools such as Google Analytics. These tools are integral to our efforts to provide a more effective and user-friendly online experience.
How We Use Analytics Tools
- Information Gathering: Our website and digital services employ cookies, web beacons, and other similar technologies for data collection. These tools are standard in gathering internet activity and usage statistics without compromising personal privacy.
- Purpose of Data Collection: The primary goal of collecting this data is to compile comprehensive statistical reports. These reports provide insights on user interactions with our website and services, such as frequency of visits, preferred pages, and engagement duration.
- Improving User Experience: The information from these analytics tools is pivotal for us to monitor our website's performance and to make necessary improvements. By understanding user behavior, we can optimize our online platforms to better serve our students, parents, and staff.
- Privacy Assurance: It's important to emphasize that our use of third-party analytics tools does not involve tracking or collecting personally identifiable information. We strictly ensure that any data gathered is used solely for statistical purposes and is not linked to any individual user's identity.
Email & SMS Communications
CGCS utilizes both email and SMS as key channels for communicating with our community. These mediums are used to disseminate important information to those who have opted in to receive them. This includes both marketing communications and routine administrative updates relevant to our school community.
Commitment to Privacy in Email Communications
- Voluntary Subscription: You can subscribe to our newsletters at any time, and this subscription is entirely voluntary.
- Confidentiality: We respect your privacy. Your email address is kept confidential and will not be disclosed to third parties, except as necessary for using a third-party service provider for sending these communications.
- Legal Compliance: All information sent via email is managed in accordance with relevant laws and regulations.
- In addition to email, CGCS may utilize SMS messaging to provide timely updates and information. This service is also available to those who opt-in.
User Control and CAN-SPAM Compliance
- Transparent Communication: In line with the CAN-SPAM Act, our emails will always clearly identify CGCS as the sender and include straightforward information on how to contact us.
- Opt-Out Option: You have the freedom to opt-out of our newsletters or marketing emails at any time. Unsubscribe instructions are included in each email, and you can also contact us directly to be removed from our mailing list.
Links to other resources
Our website and services may include links to external sites not controlled or operated by CGCS. We are not responsible for the privacy practices of these external sites. We encourage you to read their privacy statements when leaving our website, as they may collect Personal Information.
CGCS is committed to protecting the privacy and security of our community's Personal Information. We store your information on secure computer servers in a controlled environment. These servers are safeguarded against unauthorized access, use, or disclosure.
Our Security Measures
- Robust Safeguards: We employ reasonable administrative, technical, and physical measures to protect against unauthorized access, use, modification, and disclosure of Personal Information under our control.
- Data Transmission Limitations: Despite our efforts, we recognize that no data transmission over the Internet or a wireless network can be guaranteed as completely secure.
Acknowledgement of Online Security Limitations
- Internet Limitations: While we strive to protect your Personal Information, it's important to understand that the inherent security and privacy limitations of the Internet are beyond our control.
- Risk of Data Exchange: The security, integrity, and privacy of information and data exchanged between you and our website and services cannot be completely guaranteed. There is always a risk that such information may be viewed or tampered with in transit by a third party.
Should there be a breach of security on our website and services leading to unauthorized disclosure of Users’ Personal Information, CGCS will take appropriate actions. These may include investigating the breach, reporting it, and working with law enforcement authorities as needed.
- Commitment to Notification: In the event of a data breach, CGCS will make concerted efforts to notify affected individuals if there is a significant risk of harm, or if legal requirements necessitate such notification.
- Method of Notification: Notifications to users impacted by a data breach will be conducted via email, ensuring timely and direct communication.
Changes and amendments
Policy Updates and Revisions at CGCS
Notification of Changes
- Policy Update Notices: Whenever we update this Policy, we will revise the update date at the bottom of the policy page. Additionally, we may inform you of these changes through other methods, such as via the contact information you have provided to us.
- Effective Date of Changes: The updated version of the Policy becomes effective immediately upon posting. Your continued use of our website and services after the date of the revised Policy indicates your agreement to the changes and your consent to abide by them.
- Respecting Your Information: Importantly, we will not use your Personal Information in ways that are materially different from those stated at the time of collection, without obtaining your explicit consent.
Acceptance of this policy
Conditions of Use
- Agreement to Terms: If you choose to access and use our website and services, it is under the condition that you accept and comply with this Policy.
- Non-Acceptance: Should you disagree with any part of this Policy, please note that you are not authorized to access or use our website and services.
If you have any questions regarding the information we may hold about you or if you wish to exercise your rights, you may use the following data subject request form to submit your request:
If you have any other questions, concerns, or complaints regarding this Policy, we encourage you to contact us using the details below:
This document was last updated on January 27, 2024